Trip to lake Seliger
On the June long weekend with a group of friends went to lake Seliger and its surroundings – the upper lake. The weather was not too good – mostly it was rainy and overcast, but this did not prevent to relax and see the sights. Overall the trip was pleasant, the place is very beautiful perspective on good shots. Only here fishing with no luck – once again I could not taste fresh fish soup:(
Nice lake Seliger is located in the North of the Tver region, almost on the border with Novgorod oblast.
To get to Seliger, there are 2 ways – on the Leningrad highway through Torzhok or to Riga via Rzhev. There we went to Riga, returning on Leningradke, both ways have been very slow because of endless repairs and trucks on Leningradke.
Leaving early in the morning (at 6.30 a.m.) from Moscow, to the place we got closer to 14.00: road in the Tver region leave much to be desired. In the summer, none of travelling in those parts was not armed with a map and Yandex, we decided to choose the most beautiful for the upcoming holiday. Our choice fell on the village of Sirkovo. This village is not on the lake Seliger and lake vselug hotel. The upper lake, which includes the individual property, situated in 40 km from lake Seliger and United by the Volga river. Among the largest of lakes can also be noted Volga, Sterzh and foam.
Travel to the village was not as simple as it could be. Go by the shortest way, about 14 km on a dirt road, we encountered bad roads. So, our first Parking lot became a neighborhood of the village called Palikha on lake Sterzh. Fans of wild recreational fishermen there was more than the locals, but the fish refused to bite, so we were limited to only the inspection of those places. This small village is located in a cozy corner of Volga: there was almost no wind and the water overgrown with reeds and marsh grass. Coniferous forests around here, were still full of unripe blueberries.
Enjoying the local views, we turned back and decided to get to the coveted place on the bypass road: 21 km, but, unfortunately, also on the dirt road. Our journey proceeded through the winding countryside, featuring a large number of beautiful flowering fields and abandoned villages.
Chirkovo village where we went on the evening game drives were very small: only 5-6 houses. While there towered two incredible beauty of the Church. One of them belongs to the 17th century, the other in 2 centuries older. A unique historical monument, preserved in Sircova to the present day, the Church of John the Baptist. It was built of oak logs in 1697. Wide logs is not connected with one nail, and the Foundation of the Church are neatly stacked huge stones.
The main, and perhaps the only, drawback of the wooden churches was the lack of heating. That is why in the early 20th century, construction began on a new stone-built Church of red brick.
The next day we had to start early – at 3.30 in the hope of a delightful dawn, which would provide us with good pictures. There was thick fog, the sky was clouded over, the sun was observed. From this small wooden houses, located around the churches, looked more mysterious, like little oases in the midst of breast infinity mist veil.
The second day promised us a rich and cultural program. The next point of our stay was the village Volgoverkhovye. Here is the source of the Volga – the biggest river of Europe. However, all that we could find, so it is marshland and a thin stream is hard to believe that this is the mighty Volga. In the old days in Volgoverkhovye was a male monastery. In the early 20th century, there was founded another monastery for women. Here always came people, identifying the beginning of the river with the beginning of a new life. We climbed the bell tower of the Church of the Transfiguration, overlooking the village and its surroundings.
The last point of our route planned to visit the monastery of the Nilo-stolobenskaya Pustyn. Amazing energy and historical monument located on the Seliger land, surrounded on all sides by lake Seliger and connected to the mainland by a single bridge. This monastery was founded in 1594 on the island Stolbny, 10 km from the town of Ostashkov, in the place where he lived for 27 years, Reverend Nile. The monastery includes more than 20 buildings. A Central element of the monastic ensemble is the magnificent five-domed Epiphany Cathedral with a bell tower, which we were able to get by paying one hundred rubles. The Cathedral was built in the years 1821-1825 under the project of Petersburg architect I. Charlemagne in the style of late classicism. From the bell tower also offers spectacular views of the lake district.